Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Five things I would totally sign up for if we lived in the US


1. Netflix. Like, the DVD version. If the university library doesn't have a movie/old TV show, and it's not on iTunes, I basically can't watch it.

2a. Amazon, in general; and

2b. Amazon Prime, in particular. You don't even know how good you have it with Amazon. Think about it: there is a place where you can find anything you need, for a good price, and they will send it to your house. It is magic. And we don't have access to that here. Amazon.ae, why do you not exist yet??

(Side rant: this is especially on my mind because of kids' socks, of all things. The girls have to wear white, non-crew socks to school. I bought ten pairs of socks from Centrepoint at the beginning of the school year and they are just the most awful socks imaginable. They are white, but after a few washes, they all shrunk to different sizes. So now instead of a tidy sock bin by the front door, there is a frazzled heap of single socks that were discarded in the frantic search for a somewhat matching pair. Meanwhile, there are these socks lurking on Amazon, mocking me with their effortless quality and low price. Hmph.)

3. Stitch Fix. Every couple of months, I get to scheming about how I could maybe make this work with my overseas address, but...no.

4. Online grocery shopping. This is related to Amazon Prime, I guess. I would love to reach the point where I only have to go to the store to get milk, produce, and local ingredients that are probably super hard to find in the US, JUST SAYIN'.

5. THE LIBRARY. What I said about Netflix and DVDs above? It applies to books, too. If the university library doesn't have it, and it's not available as a library book for Kindle, I have to agonize over whether or not to pay $10ish to read a book. That's fine for a book that I love and will re-read or whose author I really want to support, but for the everyday one-off? No way.

18 comments:

Crys said...

Online grocery shopping is awesome...there is seriously nothing you can't get. I don't do it because we seriously count like every penny in our grocery bill, but if I didn't, I would totally do it. Amazon prime is awesome. I've missed it so much this year. I gave it up because money was so tight and it is so easy to order with prime but it is the best...plus you can watch Alpha House which is seriously the funniest thing I've ever seen. I could not live without netflix and that is the truth.

ETree said...

Have you looked into Oyster or Scribd for book reading? It's a monthly subscription but you can read whatever. Also, Overdrive Media works with local libraries here in the States to allow you to check out ebooks with your library card. There has to be some way you could get a US library card connected to Overdrive. You need free books--it's like fruits and veggies for the soul and brain.

Bridget said...

Yes, I have an Overdrive connection for my Kindle. :) Thank goodness! That's where I get most of my books.

What is the selection like on scribd? I would love a Netflix for books, but not with a limited collection. It's frustrating to have limits on reading choices.

Sarah Familia said...

If you like reading classic novels, there are tons of nicely formatted free ebooks in the public domain at manybooks.net. That's where I got addicted to Anthony Trollope.

Ariana said...

I think Netflix did away with their DVD-to-Mail service. It's all streaming now.

Ariana said...

Ok, so I checked, and NEtflix still does the dvd to mail thing. I seriously remember reading some headline a few months ago that said something like "Netflix Quietly Discontinues DVD Service" or something like that. Maybe they changed their mind! Side note, I'm pretty sure I would die without Amazon. Best invention ever.

Ariana said...

Because I'm sure you care (haha) ... Apparently netflix discontinued mailing DVDs out on Saturdays. That's what the headline was about (thank you, google). Oh, the humanity!

Liz Johnson said...

We canceled our Amazon Prime, and I'm now feeling like an ungrateful child who threw away her toy out of a desire to be better at budgeting (ha?). It was so amazing. I miss it.

We actually also signed up for Netflix DVD recently, so I'm feeling better about taking advantage of the things I have access to.

BUT! I just started watching a new show on Netflix online - Luther. British cop show. I really like it, even if it borders on too violent for me (I'm fairly squeamish about violence). So... perhaps you guys would like it?

Bridget said...

I watched a trailer for Luther a week or two ago and I think it would be too much for me. I am dying to watch Broadchurch, though.

Sarah, thanks for the tip!

Ariana, I actually am interested, so thanks for the details. :)

Scotty P said...

Love, love, love Amazon Prime. Spend way too much money there, but they treat me like royalty whenever I need customer service.

Crys said...

Liz they are doing an American version now...which will probably stink, but still. I also love Ripper...British cop show based at the time of the ripper...but truth be told I pretty much love all European cop shows. Jason makes fun of me because I watch wallender...I think it's swedish and even though it has subtitles I still need to listen...but seriously I think you'd like ripper.

ETree said...

From what I've seen on Scribd, if it's been published in ebook or audiobook form, it's there. Imagine Amazon's ebook selection at your fingertips for $8.99/month. And I've read books they day they were released, plus you don't have to wait for anyone to check it back in. You can try it free for a month--that's how I got hooked.

ETree said...

Oh and you should Google "Project Free TV" or "motion empire." They search online clouds for tv shows and movies that people have uploaded to their personal cloud storage thing-y's but haven't password protected. That's how I watched "Broadchurch" and other things from Britain that I can't watch in the States.

Jenn Ridgeway said...

I have to give a shout-out for StitchFix. It IS awesome. I signed up when we moved to Colorado for my first full-time job since having kids. I desperately needed a) work attire and b) winter clothing. StitchFix takes all the time, effort, chaos and *thinking* out of shopping for myself with young children in tow.

Sherwood family said...

You are making me feel better about living in the back of beyond. At least I still have Amazon! And yes, it and online grocery shopping ARE amazing.

Susanne said...

I clicked on the link to the socks you want for your girls. Now guess what is being advertised on my Facebook? :)

jaraad said...

I am not sure if you know this or not but you can watch Netflix even if you are outside the US.
I still use my USA Netflix account to watch movies here in Jordan thanks to Hola plugin (http://hola.org/).

You can download it on your browser and it will change your location to US.

Life is way better with Netflix :)

Liz Johnson said...

Upon further watching, Luther is too much for me, too. I find myself covering my eyes through large chunks of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails