Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Jay interview

Jay (of Serial (in)fame) gave an interview! He said he would do it, and then he did it!

I read it. And...I'm disappointed. If he's lying again, telling yet another untrue version of the events of 13 January 1999, then I'm so tired of it and I learned nothing new. If, on the other hand, he's telling the truth, it's a truth that is no longer believable.

At this point, I'm waiting for the DNA to come back. In fact, if you're interested in the Innocent Project's progress on the case, with lots of details that did not make it into the final episode of Serial, you can listen to a podcast here.

(Also, how weird is it that Jay looks almost exactly as I imagined him? Do you ever do that with people on the radio - imagine how they look? I do, and I got Jay just right.)


5 comments:

Crys said...

This story just doesn't make any sense...of course honestly adnans story doesn't make that much sense to me either. I wish we could find out what really happened but I really fear it's just always going to be which do you find the more plausible. You should watch the show 48. I really had no idea how real detectives worked until that show.

stevie kay said...

I was pretty set that Adnan was guilty and Jay helped him way more than he said, and this interview does start to make sense- especially how Jay could be so involved and yet not have any DNA on her body or car. I think he's still protecting himself, but this, more than anything, starts to make pieces fit together.

Jen and Joe. said...

You know, I actually found Jay's reasoning [for lying and changing his story] oddly sound. (And eerily relevant given the current dialogue around the relationship that people of color have with law enforcement.)

I don't know what it's like to be a black teenager in Baltimore in the late 90's. But the idea that Jay would only tell the truth when he was given the go-ahead by friends (or assured that loved ones were protected) seems totally plausible.

/shrug/

Caitlin Carroll said...

I didn't read the whole interview (at work right now helping all the poor heartbroken teens who got broken up with on New Years Eve... wait a second...), but just the beginning reeks of bullshit to me. Like the part where he goes "I think maybe she had a job..." and acting like he doesn't know anything about what was going on when obviously during the trial he would have heard about all of that, right? And did he not listen to the podcast with the rest of us? Surely he did.

Bridget said...

Yes, that was one thing that was a tiny bit clearer to me - why getting busted for drugs was not a thing he wanted to have happen. I did appreciate the extra context there. But yeah, not holding out hope for part 2. :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails