Friday, February 27, 2015

February 27th, outsourced

I so, so much enjoyed this interview with a young girl who also happens to be an expert on presidential history.

Our Crown Prince (of Dubai) ran the Spartan Race last weekend. Did yours?

The time everyone "corrected" the world's smartest woman. [HT Josh] I have been turning over this riddle in my mind for almost a week now, and I allllmost get it. But then it slips away again. Kind of like...

...the color of this dress. I see it as white and gold. I can see it as blue and black if I look from a different angle, but then that slips away again, too. (Explained.) (And the actual dress is blue and black.)

If critics wrote about the male Best Director nominees the same way they write about Selma director Ava Duvernay.

So, a friend of mine redecorated another friend of mine's living room, and it made Good Housekeeping. As it does.

Popular baby names PSA. [HT Suzanne, I think?]

How a fourth-grade class Twitter account rekindled my faith in humanity. [HT Jessie]

I don't even care that this is an obvious publicity ploy. I still think there is value in the fact that three guys wore 33-lb, 9-month pregnant bodysuits (complete with breasts) for a month, just to see what it was like. [HT Sarah]

Shannon Hale articulates the argument in favor of boys reading books "for girls" so well. There are no girl books or boy books, ok? There are just books. This is why I gave my nephew The Princess in Black for Christmas.

The other thing that happened in America while I was asleep (besides the dress color palaver) is that two llamas went on the rampage in Arizona. My kids loved this video.

11 comments:

Bridget said...

Since I wrote this, my mind changed about the dress and it's blue and black, and now I can't see the white and gold anymore.

Crys said...

The birdman one was the best! Oh I wish you were here to come to book group with me. Comments that had me cringing...in reference to a girl moving to a town on the boarder with mexico whose temple is actually in mexico...."well those people just need to learn Spanish.". A response to me when I mentioned I'd taken a break from white collar. "I just pretend he is straight and then I don't get annoyed.". Two references to Matt Walsh blogs...." You know you are poisoning yourself with birth control just so your husband can have sex and you don't have to worry about more kids.". Excuse me (this is me speaking)...if hormones are posion thanks body for poisoning me for the last 23 years. Also has it ever occurred to you and Matt Walsh that maybe I enjoy having sex without having to worry about getting pregnant when I can neither afford to mentally, physically or emotionally have another child. And finally "did you read that Matt Walsh blog proving their is no white privelidge.". And me, " you do realize one guy having a crap life doesn't prove that. You realize a lot of guys having a crap life doesn't prove that. Let me share with you some research.". To which the response was, "well I'm not racist but here is why you are wrong....". Good grief. Where are my people. Please tell me I'm not alone and someday I will find someone to stand with me against this madness!!!! Speaking of madness, the dress thing...what the? I mean that thing for more coverage from the sites I read then Kim Kadashians butt....and here is my thing...that dress is so ugly either color. Yikes. The psa made me laugh....I gave my one child a rediculously popular name....really popular first middle combo, and sometimes I feel bad that she is stuck with always having another girl in her class with the same name. As a Crystal born in 1980 I fell her pain, but then I remember my name sounds like a striper name and her name is my favorite of all gospel principles...the one that keeps me in church even when I just want to shake everyone I know and so I'm still glad I named her that. Sorry for your pain baby girl. Crazy congrats to your friends who made it into Good Housekeeping. It was a super cute room makeover. Go lamas!!!!

Crys said...

Haha oops it was learn English ;)

Crys said...

Haha oops it was learn English ;)

Bridget said...

Crys, I don't remember who told me about it, but somewhere out there is a whatismattwalshwrongabouttoday blog. I don't know if they post anymore. It was a thing of beauty.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

The llama video made me laugh and nod. Because I had an eerily identical experience last fall helping to corral a horse that didn't want to be caught. For a while I blocked him with the car while others were on foot. Then we were all on foot. After 2 hours someone got the bright idea to get a friend on horseback who is an expert roper, and that did the trick. Truth is, llamas and horses aren't cats and dogs; they are large powerful animals who can run right over you if they want to.

Jenn Ridgeway said...

As a 35-year old named Jennifer, I'm kind of in love with that PSA.

Hannah said...

Hmm...the dress looked lavender and brown to me. I'm not sure what that says about my color perception!

Jennifer said...

I also loved the PSA. I kind of want to show it to my mom, but then she'd feel bad. We've talked about this before and she says she had no idea how popular my name was before they have it to me. You know, there wasn't a SSA website back then, she points out.

Thank you for sharing the article about the Monte Hall problem. We watched the movie 21 over the weekend and the problem is addressed in the movie and Jeff and I were totally confused. This helped! Though I feel like you... I'm still wrapping my head around it. To be honest, probability has never been my strong suit.

Bridget said...

I feel like there is a pun waiting in your last sentence, but I can't figure out what it is! The thing that helped me with the riddle is when they explained it using 100 doors. That made more sense. But still...

Jeremy was a very popular name in 1976, and it was THE most popular name in Idaho that year, so we are familiar with the Jennifer-of-the-80s phenomenon. I guess we are spoiled today with our websites. I wonder what your mom would have had to do to look up your name back then - make a phone call to Washington, DC??

Jennifer said...

Haha, maybe there is a pun in there, but it wasn't intended. I'm just not good at probability. Whenever I'm tutoring and the student wants help on those, I just cringe internally knowing I'm really no help! But I'm good at faking and pretending I do. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails