Friday, March 13, 2015

March 13th, outsourced

In case you ever wondered: this is what will happen when QEII dies.

24 things you learn to love when you live in Dubai.

The saga of a broken German door that became a memefest. Ah, the Germans.

Last Buzzfeed - it's a good one: 27 DIYs for book lovers! I'm not even into DIY but I wanted some of these. [HT Kathy]

Meet the Monuments Men risking everything to save Syria's treasures from ISIS. WOW.

The country (Philippines) training people to leave - such an interesting look into the process by which women train to become maids in other countries. [HT Susanne]

I can't stop thinking about this story of a high school track star with MS. As her body heat increases during races, she loses feeling in her legs and literally collapses at each finish line. Amazing story.

In case you've ever wondered about that huge abandoned airplane in Omm al Qawain. (I have.)

I enjoyed this satirical take on the viral news story about the female news presenter who told off a rude guest - but she was wearing hijab (it looked like a courtesy hijab) and speaking Arabic, so it was big news for the West. Or something. Anyway, satire is funny.

A few confessions to those who've left the church. This really resonated with me.

There are more photos on the contest website, but check out these finalists of the Smithsonian photo competition!

Duchess Kate visited the set of Downton Abbey, so now our lives are complete.

Children and animals, together in gorgeous photos taken in Russia.

5 comments:

Glenda said...

Great Bridget, now I want a baby bear and a Caribou. I saw that running post a few weeks ago and it made me cry and then when I tried to explain it to J I cried again. Just the idea that you would love something so much and know you were going to lose it so you just had to do it as much as you could while you still could...oh...and then the parents. I often enjoy when I'm watching the olympics and they pan over to the parents who are biting their nails...how could you watch that as a parent. It would be torture. Some super beautiful pictures. Love the guys saving the art. I think about it often, that weekend we had in Egypt J and I went back to the National museum and spent the whole day there. Originally we were trying to read every little plaque but halfway through we just decided if we could walk past and gaze over every piece there we would have accomplished something. I remember hearing during the revolution that the museum was sacked and pillaged and I thought, I saw that day something that I would never be able to see again. I hope those guys are able to save their national treasures. The CC was interesting. I wonder if he wonders ever what they think about him. I'm now the only remaining sibling of six that still considers myself Mormon and still goes. At this point I think maybe I cause them more anxiety then they cause me. I'm the one who always feels at odds. My last sister to leave who just left this year told me that the moment she decided to let it go she felt a great relief lifted off her chest. I think maybe whatever I feel toward them there is a good chance they are equal worried about me. Does that even make sense. Man I love Kate. I hope she always stays happy and healthy.

Caitlin Carroll said...

I like the CC article. I think all of my relatives and friends should read it :) I know it came from a place of love, but the "I feel so SAD FOR YOU" irked me to no end. I felt so much happier after I left, so much freer, so much more authentic. And many of them still think it's all an act and don't let me own my own experiences and decide for myself how I feel about it.

Anna said...

This is Chris.
Amr Al-Azm was my professor for a couple of classes when he was at BYU. It was crazy to see his picture! Thanks for the cool link.

Bridget said...

That is so cool, Chris! "He worked as a professor at BYU" was not what I was expecting to read in that article!

Susanne said...

I'm just now able to look at these links more thoroughly. The pictures are wonderful! The Buzzfeed from Dubai was neat. Also,I like the article about Mormons leaving the faith.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails