Friday, March 20, 2015

March 20th, outsourced

This post would have gone up sooner except I got caught up playing Google Feud. Good fun, even if I really am not that good at it. It's hard to get inside Autocomplete's brain. [HT Jen]

I found this post about expats vs. immigrants (white people are expats; everyone else are immigrants or migrants) so thought-provoking. I do think there's more going on here - "expat" sometimes implies that the person can never gain citizenship, which is the situation here in the UAE. But yeah, thought-provoking.


I enjoyed reading through this list of commonly misused phrases. They missed "here, here" (I think it should be "hear, hear," right?), and I wish they would have addressed perq vs. perk. And didn't we decide that "could care less" is OK since it means "meh, I COULD care less, but...meh"?

This list of mom worries for each successive kid made me laugh. [HT Kat, maybe?]

I saw this a few places, and I found it to be an interesting read: A stay-at-home parent is not a "luxury."

I am in love with this series, the latest installment of which is different perceptions of beauty in North and South Korea. [HT Ashi]

6 comments:

Amira said...

That immigrant/expat article was interesting, but it didn't quite work for me because immigrant and expat mean completely different things even if people don't use them correctly. I thought that migrant worker/expat would have been better. But I've noticed that expat means very different things to different people, no matter what the actual definition is.

Nancy said...

The first time I heard the word expat was in a Bollywood film. And it referred to Indians living in America.

I've been trying to remember which film it was for days now...

Nancy said...

It was maybe Swades.

And it probably wasn't the first time I had "heard" the word expat...but the first time I bothered to think about the word, maybe?

2004 is seeming to be a little late for hearing the word expat now...I mean, my family border hops regularly so...anyway...

Kathy Haynie said...

For a while I kept seeing "take it for granite" in my students' papers (I took it for granted that they knew the correct expression had nothing to do with rocks).

Thoroughly enjoyed the "100 years of beauty" series.

Aimee said...

I always enjoy clicking through your article links! I found the expat/immigrant and would probably have not come across it in my daily reading.

Liz Johnson said...

Yeah, what Amira said. Those two words don't mean the same thing to me, in terms of connotation. To me, ex-pat generally means that you're working outside your native country for a short period of time (less than 10 years) with intentions to go back, and that your employer is based in another country. Immigrant suggests moving to another country with an intent to stay and find work based in that country. I think expat/migrant worker is absolutely the better parallel.

I said this on another friend's FB thread, but you notice that there's no list of things that people fear with the 4th kid. It's because we've given up on worrying about our kids and are instead worrying that they will find us hidden in our closets eating chocolate. :)

I am terrible at Google Feud. Clearly most google users don't have little kids (I kept putting "baby" at the end and losing).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails