Monday, April 27, 2015

Relative durability of children's clothing brands



We generally save clothes shopping for the kids for when we're in the US every other year. Clothes are expensive here, or, if they're cheap, they are of awful quality. We're coming up on our trip to the US, so I've been going through the girls' closets to see what has held up over the last two years. Here are some conclusions, in roughly descending order of quality.

Columbia Sportswear. This stuff never ever wears out - shoes, coats, exercise gear, etc. It all looks brand-new still, sometimes even after going through both girls.

Kohl's - Sonoma (kids). Excellent quality. The fabrics are sturdy and don't pill, and the colors don't fade even though we dry our clothes on a rack in the sun.

Hanna Andersson stretchy pants (or Kirkland brand). Excellent. Magdalena always puts holes in pants, but not these.

Target - Cherokee. Very good quality. Higher quality fabrics and stitching.

Target - Circo brand. Very good quality. Good enough to hand down from Miriam to Magdalena, even. Sometimes the clothes don't hold their shape as well as I'd like, though - t-shirts get a little short after a couple of years of use.

Old Navy. Just OK. The pants almost always get holes in them within the first six months. It's disappointing. The t-shirts are made of lighter fabric which is good for the heat here, but it also makes them less durable.

H&M. I only buy kids' clothes at H&M if we need an item right now for some reason. Otherwise, I try to avoid it. They have really cute clothes but I find that they are overpriced for the quality you get. The pants gets holes in the knees so easily, colors fade, and cute decals that look good in the store droop or distort after a few washes. Sometimes they have a really good sale and I don't mind buying an outfit for cheap even though I know it will wear out soon.

8 comments:

Ariana said...

We have a hard time with boys and holes in the jeans here. This year, I was fixing knee holes not even 2 months into jeans-wearing season. Arrrrghhhhh. My 10 year old now has knee holes in every single knee of every single pair of jeans he owns. So that would be a total FAIL for Old Navy and Crazy 8 jeans in my opinion. The only reason I buy them is they often go on sale before school starts for $10/pair and they came in the slim sizes I was looking for. I thought since they were so cheap, I could buy a few extra pairs (I think we ended up with 9 total pairs for the 10 year old, whoa) and that would make each pair last longer. Nope. All holey. As for shirts, I've bought a lot for my younger kid (age 5) at Fred Meyer - aka Smiths Marketplace here in Utah. They've held up great. Kohls shirts are great. Old Navy shirts have been less stellar, with the printed on designs barely make it through one season before they are halfway washed away.

Jen and Joe. said...

We have EXCELLENT luck with jeans from The Children's Place. And we never regret clothing purchases for our kids from L.L. Bean.

Crys said...

Children's place is my go too place. I've found quality to price to be the best there...especially when you shop ahead the monster sale or or combine percentage off with percentage off for using your children's place card. The jeans go super on sale right around when school starts and I've had pairs make it to cheetah...that I bought at garage sales even...except with E...he gets holes in the knees no matter what. I still figure it is worth it for the price but have contemplate buying from sears because I swear they have a

Crys said...

Children's place is my go too place. I've found quality to price to be the best there...especially when you shop ahead the monster sale or or combine percentage off with percentage off for using your children's place card. The jeans go super on sale right around when school starts and I've had pairs make it to cheetah...that I bought at garage sales even...except with E...he gets holes in the knees no matter what. I still figure it is worth it for the price but have contemplate buying from sears because I swear they have a

Crys said...

My phone hates me. I was going to say sears used to do maybe still does a deal where you could get a replacement for things that wore out while your kid still fit them. I do like how children's place has slim jeans with elastic inside...helps with my skinny kids. Love Hannah Anderson but feel she is too pricey for my kids...cant tell you how many times I've had a kid get paint on a brand new shirt. Love kohl's. Love Costco stuff. Love Gap but it is just too pricey for me. Like Target. It is my favorite store but sometimes the clothes are just odd. We call is short fat when the shirts shrink. Walmart stuff is the worst about that. Don't do gymboree because it is too expensive. Have found some cute stuff at JC penny's...especially the Arizona brand for E. They had the best soft tshirts that lasted forever. Wow I shop a lot for my kids....

Suzanne Bubnash said...

This is going back a ways. Sears used to carry a line of jeans for younger boys called Toughskin (I think). The denim was high quality and the knees were already reenforced, and they had a stretch of elastic in the back that kept them snug around the waist. Sometimes I bought them new, and they went through all the boys. Other times I was given them as hand-me-downs, and they still went through all the boys.

Liz Johnson said...

I also like the Sonoma stuff at Kohl's, although not the Jumping Beans stuff. It always runs small and wears out so quickly.

My boys put holes in every single pair of jeans they own, including Children's Place and Levi's. Gah. I've heard that Sears does a no-questions-asked lifetime guarantee, so you can hand them holey jeans and they'll hand you a new pair... but I need to check that out.

I should probably start getting Columbia coats. Since we wear them practically year-round around here (gah).

Bridget said...

Jumping Beans is the worst. Forgot to add that to this list.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails