Monday, June 01, 2015

Weaned? Or: CAFFEINE.

So Sterling is weaned, maybe? When I went to Finland at the end of April and didn't nurse him for three days, I thought that would be the end of it. But when I got back, he picked up again with no problem and I was so engorged that I was happy to let him do it. (Side note: dealing with engorgement issues in a foreign country right before a job interview just to get my bra to fit is not something I ever envisioned myself doing. Life is surprising sometimes.)

Then he got a stuffy nose. That's how Magdalena ended up weaning herself - she couldn't be bothered to nurse with a blocked nose. Sterling put up more of an effort but for the past few days he hasn't minded missing or skimping on his brekkie nurse - the only feeding we still had.

Well, with all the moving preparations and the stresses and business of everyday life, I have been feeling so run down and exhausted. On Thursday, it occurred to me that since I wasn't really nursing Sterling anymore, I could have - dun dun DUN - caffeine! So I picked myself up a Coke Zero on the way to work and it was AMAZING. 200mLs in and I felt like I could conquer the world. I played the piano like a boss and was chipper in class even though my students were like zzzzz. I didn't even care that it was blazing hot outside when I rode my bike home. I got stuff DONE and I felt good doing it.

It had been a long time since I'd been able to rely on a small drink of Coke for a little pick-me-up, and let me tell you, I'm so glad I had a day of caffeine to put the spring back in my step. I feel like my energy meter has been reset.

And happy weaning, maybe, to Sterling!

3 comments:

Jen and Joe. said...

It is real, and it is powerful. {Insert internet fist-bump HERE.}

Crys said...

We had that same thing happen here when I went to my sisters wedding. She started back up again like I never left. I have a lot of express encouragement stories but most aren't fit for public consumption ;). Caffeine oh you glorious stuff. Some of the best/most fun/most productive/nicest moms I know have a six can a day or more caffeine addiction. Makes me wish I could just pump the stuff into my veins!

Nancy said...

I might never leave home without an electric breast pump ever again. Seriously (okay not seriously). I always thought I hated pumping until I had to do it. And...pumping is still kind of meh. BUT I never have to worry about being engorged or getting mastitis (now that I have all my pump parts again) and that is glorious.

I'm glad you were able to fake being comfortable well enough to get the job! Of course, I'm imaging being engorged to the point of tears because that's how I was earlier this week. Hopefully you weren't quite that bad. :)

Anyway, good luck with everything you have to do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails